We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Discover Vibrant Mediterranean Couscous Stuffed Peppers. Elevate Your Cooking with Our Detailed Recipe. Fresh Ingredients.
Embark on a culinary journey with our delectable Stuffed Bell Peppers with Mediterranean Couscous. This exquisite dish marries the vibrant flavors of bell peppers with the exotic flair of Mediterranean couscous. Each bite is a burst of Mediterranean sunshine, delivering a symphony of textures and tastes that will leave you craving for more. Join us in creating a masterpiece of flavors and aromas.
The concept of stuffing vegetables, such as bell peppers, dates back centuries and spans various cultures. It was a method employed to utilize seasonal produce effectively. The Mediterranean region, renowned for its bountiful harvests, gave rise to the idea of combining vibrant vegetables with grains like couscous, creating a satisfying and nutritious dish. This recipe pays tribute to the rich heritage of Mediterranean cuisine while adding a contemporary twist.
For the Stuffed Bell Peppers:
- 4 large bell peppers (red, yellow, or green)
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
For the Lemon-Herb Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Step by Step Instructions
- Prepare the Couscous Filling:
- In a medium saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil.
- Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork to separate the grains.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked couscous, chickpeas, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced Kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese, minced garlic, chopped fresh parsley, and chopped fresh mint.
- Gently toss the ingredients together until well combined. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Prepare the Bell Peppers:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove the seeds and membranes.
- Lightly drizzle the inside of each pepper with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt.
- Stuff the Peppers:
- Spoon the prepared couscous mixture into each bell pepper, pressing down gently to pack the filling.
- Place the stuffed peppers in a baking dish.
- Make the Lemon-Herb Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, chopped fresh oregano, chopped fresh thyme, salt, and black pepper.
- Bake and Serve:
- Drizzle the lemon-herb dressing over the stuffed peppers.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Garnish with additional fresh herbs and a sprinkle of feta cheese if desired. Serve these Stuffed Bell Peppers with Mediterranean Couscous as a delightful main course or a stunning side dish.